Friday, September 10, 2010

The Unexpected Guest

A lizard has crept into my kitchen sink. Seriously. And it refuses to vacate the premises. It is tiny and dark with a pattern of concentric white dots running down its tail. I let the tap water run at full force, but it perched unconcerned at the rim of my favourite cooking bowl (I use it for everything from boiling rice, to cooking veggies, preparing Maggi, pasta, pulav, soup, rasam etc.) I threw a plate that hit the sink with a resounding crash, but all I got of this exercise was a glimpse of the beady-eyed beauty as it disappeared further into unknown depths of another unlucky utensil. I told myself to ‘man up’ and get rid of it somehow, but no success. I’m now going to sleep on it and hope that tomorrow morning as I step into the kitchen to prepare tea, I am greeted by solitude. And not by lizard poop. Yes, I can hear you making a mental note never to eat at my place again. :’(

Meanwhile, I’ve been condemned to eating out at all times, which mind you is no fun when you’re alone. Try going to a nice restaurant and asking for a ‘table for one’. Quite apart from anything else, it’s just depressing. And there’s always a couple, lurking nearby, mocking you (and always the standard format, pretty girl – fat guy). So I have to lump it and eat at Hotel Saravana Bhavan.

This is not the first time, though, that some creepy crawly has attempted to interfere with my lazy style of home running. The first adversaries I encountered when I moved in were red ants. They took over my life. Starting with a packet of biscuits and the pack of rubber-bands, they moved on to other articles of their interest, infiltrated my packets of Maggi, macaroni, wheat flour, arhar daal, soup, rice, salt and samosas. I would see them delicately moving along in a distinct line now here and now there, eventually invading my dreams where they feasted on me. There are bulky lines drawn outside the cupboards with the anti-roach chalk now, for that is what keeps them at bay.

This package of lizards and red ants has been present in every house I’ve rented in Chennai. The lizards of course are multi-hued and in many sizes, they don’t just keep to the walls, they scramble across the floor. There are the flying cockroaches too, don’t you just love those?

The best encounter however was perhaps a year and a half ago, when I woke up groggy a Saturday morning to see the maid standing outside the kitchen pointing helplessly in stunned outrage. The offending party, it transpired, was a pair of debauched lizards, busily ‘at it’ on the kitchen floor. Stifling a mad urge to giggle, I very composedly drove away the salacious couple, much to the relief of the lady. I am a gentleman after all.

3 comments:

Blogger said...

I hope the intention behind writing this piece was not to cancel a forthcoming party at your place :D
I would have never been able to sleep at night knowing that there might be cockroaches flying over my head and lizards lurking round my bed!
Why don’t you call the pesticides people sometime soon, before I get to read another ‘Fauna of Chennai’ special post :)

Shashank said...

Hah! I can say that that would have been the case with me too, but here I know I don't have a choice so I have learnt to tolerate it.

Blogger said...

"And there’s always a couple, lurking nearby, mocking you..."

I have recently started travelling on my own - and believe me its very liberating. More so when 'the couple' sitting in front of you feels uncomfortable getting cosy because you are alone ;)

[Given that I am where I am you would know what I mean]